Monday, August 25, 2008

What a great week

Dear Readers and Writers in Franklin,

What a great week I had visiting your wonderful schools, and seeing something of the beautiful countryside as I travelled from school to school. Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

I was very impressed by the variety of thoughtful questions I was asked about writing. You had all prepared really well. Let me know if there is anything else you wanted to ask, that we didn't have time for . . . except about how to do the magic tricks!! :-)

It was great to be reminded that Ed Hillary went to Tuakau Primary School and that Elsie Locke attended Waiuku School and set her book, "The end of the harbour", in the area. (It's a very good book, worth a read.)

It made me wonder what other writers and illustrators live, or lived, in the Franklin District. It might be fun and interesting to make a map and match up authors with places. This website could help: http://www.christchurchcitylibraries.com/Kids/ChildrensAuthors/

Those of you who started writing stories during the workshops, how did you get on? Did you get to the end of your stories?

Have any of you played any of the word games and come up with some more unique combinations of possible stoy starters?

Do let me know. I'd love to hear from you.

And remember, stories are all around you.

From,

Bill Nagelkerke

2 comments:

Miss Austin said...

Hi Bill, I have just finished reading Rm 43 at Pukekohe Intermediate
"Old Bones." The students thoroughly enjoyed talking to you during your visit and they really enjoyed me reading your novel to them. They thought the whole book was great and they particularly enjoyed the ending. They are now lining up to re-read the book.
Lynette Slee

New Zealand Book Council said...

Hi Lynette and students,

Nice to hear from you and to know that you liked the book. Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed visiting Pukekohe Intermediate and meeting you all, and wish you many hours of happy reading.

Bill